Updated: Mar. 30, 2017
[NEW!] We are looking for FULL-TIME General Operational Staff for our WIRED HOTEL opening in Asakusa in April 2017.
Cafe Company Inc. is a cafe/restaurant operator in Tokyo.
We have around 100 locations in Japan (mainly Tokyo, a few in Osaka & Kyoto), 4 in Hong Kong, and 1 in Bangkok.
We have multi-brand approach and each cafe/restaurant we create takes into account the personality of the neighborhood and surrounding community. Our shops reflect the latest trends in Tokyo street fashion, music, art, and are a fusion of Japanese and international styles.
Who are we looking for?
We are looking for international/foreigner university students who are long term students at a Japanese universities and are looking for full-time work in Japan after graduating. In other words, 新卒 who are doing 就職活動 for 2017 or 2018 graduates.
Our Global Strategy
We focus on the community aspect of our cafes/restaurants, but one of our weaknesses until now has been that we haven’t much included the international/foreigner community within our staff. A large percentage of our customer base is non-Japanese, and the number will only keep on growing until the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. We want our staff to match up better with our international clientele.
Also, we are looking to slowly but surely expand globally in the next couple of years and would like to find those superstars who we can entrust in the future, full-time to our global locations. We currently have 3 overseas locations, all in Hong Kong. We are opening up a 4th by the end of 2015, and in 2016 are looking to expand to other countries in Asia, to be followed by expansions into Europe and the US (I’m personally pushing for Barcelona, but no solid plans on that yet..).
We’ve also just announced a hotel project and are looking for those interested there. Also, in April 2016, we will be opening and operating the Tokyo location of the very popular New York eatery Rosemarry’s.
Note, this global recruitment is new endeavor for us, and we are still a very Japanese company. We are looking for our first wave of global employees and hope you will be a part of that!
We are a collective of professional hospitality & service pros, interior designers, graphic designers, real estate experts, and chefs. However, doing graphic design, or interior design, or restaurant planning in general, one must know also about operations and customer service.
After coming in full-time with us, your first 1 – 2 years so (not set in stone) would be spent working as hall or kitchen staff at one of Japan cafes or restaurants. After gaining the proper experience there, you would have the chance to move to our a position at our head office in your chosen area or expertise. Also, you would have the chance to move to the planning and operations of one of our new global locations.
- First 1 – 2 years or so: Work as hall or kitchen staff at one of our Japan cafe/restaurants. Here you will learn the basics of our customer service & hospitality philosophy and operation style.
- After that: Continue working a a cafe / restaurant, or possibly move on to work in the planning section with regards to our overseas locations, or join the hotel project. Currently we are really looking for those interested in the hotel business. *Note that we are a smallish company without a firm and rigorous training program / schedule so the more flexible you can be, the better.
– Be international students who are regular, long-term university students at Tokyo universities like Sophia, Waseda, Keio, etc.
– Be graduating in 2017 or 2018.
– Read all the info on other pages of this site and also check out our main corporate site. We want someone who likes/gets our style of cafe and general corporate vision.
– And very importantly, must have business level or higher Japanese. This means not only being able to converse in Japanese, but also be able to read and write emails, etc.
April 2018 Graduates: Our hiring schedule will be the same as the regular Japanese new-grad hiring schedule.
Other Graduates: ie. graduates from any other month than April 2018, we may be able to make accommodations, but it will be on a case-by-case basis. We usually like for new grads to do an internship or part-time job before we decide on full-time hiring, so if you’re schedule can handle this, things will go smoother.
How to apply?
1) Apply through our Japanese site.
2) By email, send us your:
-CV w/headshot picture (PDF or Word) in English and/or Japanese.
Email the above to the hiring manager, Nicolas Koreni at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are still undecided about what you want to do, but are interested in our company, we do do internships.